Thoughts on the New Dark Knight Rises Trailer
So we finally got a new trailer for The Dark Knight Rises. This week The Avengers comes out so it’s easy to forget we have another blockbuster waiting for us mid-summer. Anyway, after watching it last night I wanted to put some of my thoughts in this quick post:
- The Dark Knight Rises Promotion is Just Getting Started – I’ve seen a lot of people complaining (read: Bitching) about how Christopher Nolan and WB haven’t done enough to promote The Dark Knight Rises. People…it comes out in July. The studio isn’t stupid. Why on earth would they blow their load 3 months before the movie even comes out and in the process try to compete with the full blown promotion of The Avengers at the same time? That makes no sense. After The Avenger comes out, The Dark Knight Rises basically has 3 months to promote with no competition. I know The Amazing Spider-Man comes out in July as well but let’s be real, even if you are excited to see it (I know I am), you know that it’s no competition for The Dark Knight Rises. The viral campaign for this is really just kicking off. Hold your horses folks, the promotion is just gearing up.
- Chris Nolan Only Shows You Enough To Tease You – I’ve already seen some (a very small group) people complaining about how the trailer doesn’t show a lot. Those people have forgotten how much The Dark Knight Rises trailer didn’t show. Matter of fact, I remember some people still not being sold on Heath Ledger playing to joker after the final Dark Knight trailer. And well, we see how that turned out. I for one, enjoy the fact that we are only teased a bit about what’s going on in The Dark Knight Rises. This isn’t like The Avengers where I needed to be reassured that Whedon could pull this off. Chris Nolan has my trust and faith. I truly believe he’s going to pull out something wonderful.
- Bane’s Voice is Fine – I saw a screening for the Dark Knight Rises prologue back in December. At that time there was a lot of talk about how Tom Hardy’s voice as Bane was hard to understand. I didn’t have a hard time understanding his accent but in the scene it did sound like his voice was drowned out. But again, that was really before the final cut was put out. In the new trailer, not only can I understand him clearly but I love the accent.
- The Trailer Doesn’t Do It Justice – Speaking of the prologue…a few scenes from that are in the trailer and let me tell you, watching them on your computer screen do NOT do them justice. The plane hijacking scene with Bane is one of the most awesome scenes I’ve ever watched. When you see it on the big screen you’re going to wonder 1. How did they shoot that? 2. If it’s real, how did no one die. Part of me knows that there’s no way Nolan and his crew shot that scene in the air but on the screen it really looks like they did and it is beyond amazing. One of the most innovative and creative plane hijackings I’ve seen in film.
- The Dark Knight Rises Looks Darker than The Dark Knight – The Dark Knight was such a dark and grim film. But The Dark Knight Rises looks like it’s going to be even darker. It looks like there’s going to be some serious consequences in this final chapter and that the happy ending might not be an option. I’m preparing myself for a Mass Effect 3 type ending where it’s fucked up but I’m satisfied.
- Tom Hardy & Anne Hathaway Look Great – “He’s too small to be Bane”, “She’s not pretty enough to be Catwoman”. From what I’ve seen, those complaints are stupid. I’ve seen more of Tom Hardy’s Bane so I’ll deal with him first. He’s big enough. Remember Nolan is going for a realistic Batman movie. With what they did with motion capture and the Hulk in Avengers, I think it’s possible to make Bane to be this huge hulking giant but I think in doing so, that would have changed the realism, tone and feel of Nolan’s Batman vision and so I’m glad they didn’t. With Hathaway, from what I’ve seen, she looks great in the costume and she’s looks to be a fine Selena. I just want people to remember the way people tried to initially dismiss Heath Ledger as the Joker before they write off Hardy & Hathaway.
- “It’s not a car” - Whatever they’re calling that batvehicle……..IT LOOKS AWESOME. Also I think they hinted at this in the last movie. When Coleman Reese confronts Lucius Fox about Wayne being Batman he says “What are you building for him now? A Rocket Ship?”
July 20th folks. I don’t know about you but I CAN’T FUCKING WAIT.